My spiritual name

I received my spiritual name from New Mexico this morning: Japa Dyal Kaur (pronounced "jap-ah dee-ahl car``). At first I was shocked. The letters seemed just wrong, like jumbled up or something. A wave of panic set in and I thought for a nanosecond to request a new one.  But after I read the meaning of the words, and let it "sink in" I am absolutely elated, I really love it!

I have "waited" to receive my spiritual name, as commonly given in the Kundalini yoga community, for 13 years (Today is Friday the 13th - coincidence?) I was so afraid to, I wouldn't even ask my yoga teacher for one, and he trained directly under the Yogi who brought this discipline to the West in the late 1960's (and who has been commissioned to write his authorized biography). 

But on Wednesday, exactly one week after my milestone 40th birthday (possibly the most holy number in history), I was moved fully by the Spirit to request for one. I offered my story and intentions; I say offered because it wasn't a prerequisite, and I didn't even make the suggested minimum payment (I most certainly must give back to the 3HO Foundation, and I will). I was told it would take up to four weeks - which was a longer wait time, almost like a penalty for not making a monetary offering. I was given my name by the second day. There was a real connection, even though it was done online, and this is probably the biggest reason why I cherish it so much.

So now to say what it means - Japa means to repeat, Dyal means kindness and compassion, and Kaur, which is the last name and given to all females, means lioness, and it represents the strength and grace provided by God. Together it means, "The princess who embodies divine kindness and compassion to the world, through the constant repetition of God's name". WOW. This is actually what Apostle Paul says God's will is.

The idea is that the more we use and hear our names, we really live up to what they mean. A lot of people even legally change their name to their spiritual name. I thought I would use my name as a pseudonym, and maybe write an anonymous manifesto, but I love this name so much, I want to openly use it. I am not sure how I will now, maybe if or when I teach.

It can definitely seem cultish; Kundalini Yoga is a real community where many practitioners live in ashrams, wear certain clothing, which include turbans, eat certain foods, and have specific instruction for spiritual practice. Since I have started yoga I became a ballerina (which is also its own culture in a way), a Christian, and now a follower of mystery schools and Native American tradition, so I can assure my friends and family that no, I will not be changing my name and going off to live in a commune. I can almost promise this (almost - I pretty much know not to make promises anymore, which is possibly a whole other article).

Thanks for reading, and, Sat Nam!!

"In the Name of the Cosmos which prevails through everyBODY, and the Holy Nam which holds the world",

Japa Dyal Kaur


Comments